Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The only passenger who didn’t buy the Atlantic City $35 roundtrip special.




So I didn’t read the fine print very carefully. That Greyhound bus from Brooklyn stops through the City where I have to transfer to Susquehanna Trailways after a 90 minute layover. The best part is that the Susquehanna Trailways line stops at a different terminal than the Greyhound terminal one building over. So after carefully maneuvering the escalator because the elevator doesn’t go down to the terminal level (I thought either one of my bags or I wasn’t going to make it) I found the terminal. This is a forgotten place and I hope none of you ever have to spend any significant amount of time here. The cheery baroque music being piped in does not make up for the uncomfortable metal seats or the dingy surroundings.

I was also the only white person on the Atlantic City Greyhound bus. And although this might be an overstatement, I felt like I was one of the freedom riders coming down from the North, pre-Civil Rights to march and sing “We Shall Overcome.” I take that back. It’s not an overstatement. This time, right now, is just as an important moment in history, maybe even more important. Not only are people’s civil rights and civil liberties at stake, so is our economy, national security, world standing, and the list goes on and on.

I just spotted a bunch of working class whites get in line for what I believe to be the Allentown bus. Should I ask them where they stand on the election?

I’ve been really stressed out the past week or so, trying to take care of everything before taking off for these five weeks. I kept saying that as soon as I got on the bus I would feel relieved and be able to relax. Well I was on the bus, then I got off the bus, and now I’m waiting for another bus. I hope Barack appreciates all of this. I’m ready to go; where’s the bus?

No comments: